Monday, February 14, 2011

Week 6: Food Injustice

                While watching the movie Food Inc. I was surprisingly very affected.  The film obviously had an agenda, and they obviously were preying off of my susceptibility to sob stories, corporate tyrants, and cute furry animals.  I realize that it is littered with propaganda; regardless, It made an impression.  I’m not exactly a softie, but when I saw those living chicks on the conveyer belt, It was pretty hard to watch.  Furthermore, the stories about the farmer that was completely screwed over by Monsanto were very maddening.  It’s difficult to understand how people can do these types of things not only to animals, but to other human-beings.
                The images of the animals’ terrible conditions were very powerful.  I already mentioned the living baby chickens that were put on a conveyer belt, and tagged like merchandise.  I can’t even imagine what it would be like to have to be the guy that tagged baby chickens that were crying the entire time.  Another image that was really powerful was one in which the chicken farmer had to walk around her nearly empty coop, and pick up the corpses of chickens lucky enough to die before those delivery workers came and took them away (after kicking and abusing them of course).  All of this combined with the images of the crippled cows being hung by their hooves upside-down at the slaughterhouse.  It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth:  literally and figuratively.
                It was certainly a goal of the movie to demonize corporations.  I must confess, it worked on me without a hitch.  I understand that I am only being given information on the negative things they’ve done.  That being said, regardless of any good they may do, this corruption is unacceptable.  They are so deceptive that no one really notices how few corporations there really are.  And this gives any given corporation immense power.   Anyone that goes up against them has no chance!
                Despite being completely predictable, Food Inc. was effective.  At least by my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment