Monday, January 10, 2011

A Merry Jewish Indian Christmas

Some people may think that a Jewish family wouldn’t have Christmas dinner traditions.  These people in most cases would probably be right; however, it is not the case in my family.  As I’m sure you might have guessed, I come from a Jewish family: a non-practicing one, but a Jewish family nevertheless!  Despite the fact that we do not actually celebrate Christmas, we have a tradition that has survived the past ten years.  Every Christmas Day, my family and I go out to an Indian restaurant. We do this for two reasons, the first of which being: Indian restaurants are always open on Christmas.  The second, and arguably more important reason, is that my family and I love Indian food.  Ever since my mother studied abroad in India during her college years she has been obsessed with any and all things Indian, especially food. 
            We usually start our meal off with naan, one of the most delicious bread creations I have had the pleasure of tasting.  Since there are so different types and flavors of naan, we try and get something vary things up.  When the main course comes out, we all just tend to share.  Tandori chicken, alu gobi, and shrimp vindaloo are among my favorite dishes:  and of course I like it hot!  Indian food can always benefit from being hotter if you ask me.  All of this is topped off with white rice, which I have never been disappointed by.
            Our family doesn’t have very many traditions.  Considering how long this tradition has been around, it is one that is very important to me.  While all my friends look forward to Christmas cheer and presents, I look forward to Indian food:  And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment